December 21, 2008

My Inspired Weekend

Has any one given the Book of Mormon to someone who wasn't a member? I hadn't until yesterday.
Our landlords called Friday to let us know that they would be stopping by the next day to repair a part in the house. So I was thinking of something I could give them for Christmas. If you have been reading my blog for awhile you would probably remember a post in March about this

Anyway, so Friday I have this strong feeling I need to buy them the Book of Mormon for their Christmas present. I drive to Deseret book find a copy and immediately I am making excuses to myself. "I don't need to do this, they are going to throw it away" or "what if they are offended and never speak to me again." Then, I had this strong reminder that I was inspired to do this and it was an opportunity that I might only have once. I was also reminded of all the missionaries in the world that do this on a regular bases and that it wouldn't hurt me to give someone the Book of Mormon.
I buy it, wrap it, put it with some chocolates and a card. They come over the next day she opens up the card and is excited about the chocolates. She says "this must be a book" in her thick Portuguese accent. Without a response on my part she explains that she loves reading. I am sweating at this point thinking about her expectations. She says that she will open it later since they have a long drive to L.A. And that is that!
Who knows what will happen I am not expecting a miracle but I hope she will be inspired to read it. I am grateful that I did give her the Book of Mormon and hope that I have many more chances to do it. I know that the gospel has blessed my life in so many ways and I realize that it is essential for living a happy life. It is not always easy and I am not perfect but with Heavenly Father's help he can make our weaknesses into strengths. I just want to say "Thank You" to all our family and friends that have been tremendous examples to our little family and helped strengthen our testimony. We hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

11 comments:

The Ceder House's said...

I think I would have peed my pants. Good job! I have given out a couple but only to family and they are forced to still like me. I can just imagine how scared you were- good job for following through. Even if nothing comes from it right now- every little bit will help and she will at least know your character and that will show her a good representation of LDS people.

Lisa Nielsen said...

You are such a great example. That is such a scary feeling wondering if you'll be rejected. What a great experience with following the spirit. Merry Christmas!

Shaffer Clan said...

I'm proud of you Janette. When Bob and I were in Paris once I felt inspired to give our tour guide a Book of Mormon. I contacted the mission home and bought a Book of Mormon in french. Wrote my testimony in it and wondered if she would get on our bus the next day! She did and asked questions (that Bob knew the answer to) during our lunch break. She said she had tourist before from Utah and always wondered about the Mormons. Never heard if she joined the church.

RIndi said...

That is so awesome! I always get so nervous whenever I say anything to anyone that isn't a member! I don't know how missionaries do it!! Just reading this story made my stomach bunch up because it reminded me of the first time I shared something about the church with someone (I totally stumbled and sounded like an idiot. . . sounds like you did a lot better than me!) Those family pics of you guys are SOO cute! Seriously, what a DARLING little boy!

The Hawkins said...

I have only been able to give them to people I couldn't follow up on. It made it easier and yet I wish I knew if it made a difference.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

That is so great. I have had such promptings before, and talked myself out of it a few times too. Good for you!

Shawni said...

You go girl...now you have inspired others to follow those promptings when they come. It is amazing how fast Satan can bring fear into our minds when we are prompted to do Heavenly Father's will. I might be coming out there next week...are you going to be in Vegas for New Years?

Traci said...

You are such a great example of what I need to be doing. I am always afraid of what they are going to say back. What is the worst they could say "NO"? Thanks for that great story!

JESSICA AND LUCAS NELSON said...

That is awsome Jet!!! I would have never thought of something like that. Who knows maybe you just changed that womans life for the better!!! Happy New year!!!

Jason, Elisa, Connor and Megan said...

Janette that is awesome! I don't think you will ever regret doing that, though you may have if you hadn't given it to them. I haven't ever done that and I hope if I were in your situation I would have done the same thing. It was great to see you guys this week!!

Kit said...

THat is so awesome Janette! I am so glad I got to finally read this post, because I couldn't see the words before, but read everyone's comments and knew kind of what it was about. It is so scary to give someone a BOM. I did once.....and it actually didn't turn out great, but I definitely don't regret it. You are just laying a foundation for her. I always think about how I would react if someone sincerely gave me a "book of their faith." I really believe that, unless it was saying offensive things, I would be completely touched.