October 20, 2010

RUBY RU.....

Before we welcomed Ruby in our home I did NOT want a dog. I grew up with dogs and loved them but knew all the responsibilities that went with them. So when Nate talked about wanting a dog, I was not quite up for it. Of course later warmed up to the idea.

When we first got Ruby I wasn't too happy about the accidents she had, I didn't like the dog hair that she barely shed, her crying at night, nor did I like her licks (since it gave me hives). I sound really mean.... I will have to admit that it took me awhile to like the decision we made to get her. Luckily, Everyday after that I have enjoyed her more.

On Friday, she started to act sick and not until Tuesday did she seem more like herself. We seriously thought she had swallowed something and wasn't able to pass it or she had some sort of parasite. The vet wanted us to get an x-ray (which was pretty pricey) and then if it was something she swallowed it would be 1,000-2,000 dollars to do surgery. We could not see ourselves spending that much money and if we did do the surgery it wasn't guaranteed to help her. So on Sunday we just stressed about what we should do and that we could possibly lose our little 5 month old puppy.

The next day, the vet called to tell us that she didn't have any parvo or giardia so we were very relieved and they prescribed her some doggy Imodium for the vomiting and diarrhea. After that she was back to her own self again. The vet told us she probably didn't have an obstruction and that they thought she possibly ate something that just didn't sit well.

Is it ridiculous that I just wrote a post about our dog?
I know she's just an animal but it made me (1)realize how glad I am that she is alive and in our family and (2)how expensive dogs can be. We our really happy that nothing is wrong and that she is feeling well again. I guess it took a sickness to put my guard down and accept and love her in our family.

1 comment:

Kit said...

Such a beautiful dog!
We're reversed in our relationship...I want a dog so bad, and Shawn is always saying no. I'm actually kind of glad though, because I am scared of all the work.
Glad Ruby is doing well.